Active Family Travel Ideas in the Canadian Rockies
Thinking of bringing your family to the Canadian Rockies this summer but not sure you can come up with enough to keep the kids happy, active and safe? No problem, we're here to help with a list of great outdoor family-friendly activities.
1) Canoe Rentals: Truly Canadian, Truly Fun and Truly Safe. Blue Canoe has a rental location in Banff on the Bow River and can outfit all of you in lifejackets and provide some basic instruction. If your crew is bigger than four you might want to look at their guided Voyageur Canoe trip for parties of 6 or more.
2) White Water Rafting: Sticking with the water theme, there are some great options for river rafting ranging from gentle float trips with Rocky Mountain Raft Tours to class four rapids on the Kicking Horse River for those aged 16 and up with Hydra River Guides.
3) Horseback Riding: From one hour trail rides to multi-day backcountry trips, Holiday on Horseback has some great ways to make you feel like a cowboy!
4) Hiking at Sunshine Meadows: Guided above-the-world hiking for all ages by the team at White Mountain Adventures. A unique perspective of the mountains around Banff.
5) Fly Fishing: If you fell in love with the movie "A River Runs Through It" then you've come to the right place to try out fly fishing. The movie was filmed in near-by Kananaskis and a number of operators, including Banff Fly Fishing Guides run family-friendly fishing trips.
6) Hiking the local trails: Banff and the surrounding Rocky Mountains have no shortage of hiking trails that are suited for families. Most three and four year olds can easily make it up local Tunnel Mountain and older kids can challenge themselves on other trails in the area like Dolomite Pass or the Big Beehive in Lake Louise. No guides required, just a map and a car to get to the trailhead. And a lot of snacks.
7) Bike Riding: Rent a bike from any of the ski shops downtown, grab a map and hit the local trails. Or, if you're more into bike touring the guides at CANUSA Cycle tours provide fully-supported day and multi-day bike trips. They even have trailer-bikes for tykes wanting to tag along to Mom or Dad's bike.
8) Heli-Hiking: Sounds extreme, but it's not. Think ziplines, mountain hide-and-seek, glacier walks and dress-up parties. From day trips to multi-day family heli-hiking trips, at CMH Summer Adventures we can tailor a trip specifically to your family's interests, age groups and abilities either at our remote backcountry lodges or through our local Canmore partner, Alpine Helicopters.
Want to learn more about family travel vacation ideas in the Canadian Rockies? Call our Vacation Planners at CMH Summer Adventures at 1.800.661.0252. In addition to setting you up on one of the best family vacation trips ever, we can help you create a full itinerary of great activities in Banff National Park. After all, we're your local experts!
Photo: Family Fun with CMH Summer Adventures by Andrea Johnson. For more, watch this Family Adventure video by CMH.