Summertime has finally arrived in the Rockies. The season is short so we must cease the blue sky days and enjoy the sunshine. Banff is a unique place as a small town surrounded by a gigantic playground with endless outdoor escapes. Stumped on what activities you’d like to tackle this summer? Here’s a bucket list of ideas for around Banff to accompany the adrenaline seeker to the bird-watcher.
- Rent a canoe and paddle the Bow River.
- Bike the Banff/Canmore legacy trail.
- Hike Sulphur Mountain, and experience the same views without the gondola cost.
- Explore the “Gateway to the Rockies” exhibition and others at the Whyte Museum.
- Play a round of golf at the Banff Springs golf course.
- View western Canada’s oldest natural history museum at the Banff Park Museum.
- Take a picnic out and start a fire at the Cascade Ponds or Johnson’s Lake.
If you’ve been busy sweating through the up- and down-hills, experiencing spectacular mountain views and encountering wildlife, it's time to rest and put your feet up. Here's a list of patios where you can relax in sunshine, unwind over a pint of beer or refresh with a glass of white wine:
- Timber’s patio
- Banff Brewing Company
- The Juniper bistro & lounge
- The Saltlik
- Elk and Oarsman patio
If you’re feeling good and energy levels are high, Banff also has a great night life scene - any day of the week.
Monday: Chuck Rose at the Rose and Crown www.roseandcrown.ca
Tuesday: Greek night at the Balkan restaurant www.banffbalkan.ca/greek-night
Wednesday: Open mic night at Bruno’s; country line dancing lessons at Wild Bills www.wbsaloon.com
Thursday: Live music at Melissa’s bar upstairs www.melssteak.com
Friday: Fish bowl Friday’s at Hoodoo Lounge, with featured dj www.hoodoolounge.com
Saturday: Dancing Sasquatch www.banffsasquatch.com
Sunday: Considered Banff’s “locals” night check out Aurora nightclub www.aurorabanff.com/
From the outdoors to the night life, Banff hosts something for everyone. Time to get out there and enjoy friends, family and whichever activity you decide to do. Cheers to a memorable summer 2012!